Tuesday, January 11, 2011

How We Got Here

So where to start? I started reading crafting/painting/decorating blogs a few months ago and it's really inspired me to get out of the rut I've been in over the last few years and start making my home somewhere I love to be again.

When we moved into this house 8 years ago we (ok me) were on a 5 year plan. I figured this would be a great (not so little) starter house, but that eventually we would move on to our forever home. Apparently the housing market and the economy had other plans. Even though we didn't purchase this home during the boom of the market, it's a generous size, and is in a sought after school district, it still sat on the market for a year at nearly what we paid for it back in 2002. Our house was even featured on the Barbara Corcoran's real estate segment on The Today Show. I thought (hoped) for sure that would help the offers come along. We finally had ONE offer, but it was a contingency and theirs was in a not so great area and never sold. Finally I just got tired of living on pins and needles constantly worried that the house wasn't spotless for potential viewers.

I'm a SAHM, but am also in school full time right near where we live, the kids love their school, we found a great gym that we love and so we've decided to just suck it up and deal. We will stay in this house until I'm done with school (2 more years for my Bachelors and another year for my Masters) and then we'll try the whole selling thing again. In the mean time we're going to make this home (almost) exactly what we want it to be and in the process hopefully make it more appealing to potential buyers in the future.

So I'm finally starting a blog. I'm hoping this will help keep us (me) motivated to keep on trucking on making our home somewhere I WANT to be and not somewhere I HAVE to be and also as a reminder that God doesn't work on our time schedule on anything. He has a plan for us (and who knows, maybe His plan is for this to be our forever home) and no matter how much I kick and scream and want want want want, if He wants me to have it, it will be in His time.

Now, where's that paint brush?

P.S. I'll post a link to The Today Show clip once I figure out how!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment